We search for non-profit organizations that hold the promise of meeting our screening criteria in a credible way. Only 5-10% of the organizations we consider are a strong enough fit for us to showcase them.
Ways we learn about candidate recipients and their programs:
- Known to and admired by one or more Focusing Philanthropy Partner
- Recommendations by individuals or organizations well known to a Focusing Philanthropy Partner
- Referrals by an admirable, larger charitable organization that works with the potential recipient but cannot support it directly
- Referrals from Focusing Philanthropy staff and volunteers
- Referrals to other organizations from recipients already included on this site
- Culling of other philanthropy sources for possible candidate recipients which we then scrutinize ourselves